Based in Bellevue, WA, USA, Intelius was founded by six former members of the technology firm Infospace. While
not as large as U.S. Search in the continental United States, it is the largest worldwide.
Intelius is one of the top 100 most trafficked sites on the Internet, according to
Intelius was a born as an internet service and its website shows this
heritage. It is clean and easy to find what you are looking for. They help visitors right on
the home page by providing short answers to basic questions like “What is a people search?” or
“What is a reverse phone lookup?” Some of the pricing, however, does seem a little obscured.
Intelius’ core business is background check reports for business and industry. It’s become very
common for companies to request background checks before hiring; at times even before a final interview.
Reports can be viewed on-screen, or if the buyer prefers, emailed after completing the opt-in information to
grant permission. At this point, they do not offer international record search.
Intelius is known for product innovation. As mobile communications has exploded with the growth
of smart phones, they developed the app “Date Check.” It allows consumers to perform background
checks on their dates right from their phone. Instead of googling your date when you get home like many people do
now, with just an email or phone number Intelius can sift through billions of records to provide a summary
“The world has become so transient. People move. They are in big cities. It’s not like the old days when you
are dating somebody next door and you’ve known their family for one hundred years.” Intelius’ Susan Kohler
told CNN. Date Check won a DEMOgod award in 2009. The DEMO organization hand selects the most promising emerging
technologies for their convention.
Intelius has had some speed bumps over the years. In 2010 the State of
Washington Attorney General announced a $1.3 million settlement with the search giant. Attorney General Rob
McKenna said Intelius chose “cash over candor” when some consumers may have enrolled in member ship programs
without their knowledge.
To strengthen their commitment to consumers, Intelius has updated their Customer Bill of Rights
to emphasize transparency, satisfaction, customer service, and the right to privacy. In fact, they created the
position of Chief Privacy Officer as their consumer point person. In addition, they follow all industry
security standards and have passed Verisign Security Verification.
We advise consumers to check their order carefully before completing their transaction. Since there are many
product offerings, make sure you are only getting what you ordered.
Intelius Review - Pros
- Produce over 3 Million reports per year
- Daily visitors top 1 million
- Over 8 million unique customers
- Verified Security Verification
- Awards for innovation such as DEMOgod 2008
- Have served over 16 million orders and 22 million individual products to consumers
- Over 20 billion records in company data banks
- Highlighted in Inc. Magazine's INC. 500
- Named by Puget Sound Business Journal as one of Washington's Best Workplaces
- Named by Puget Sound Business Journal as one of the winners of that publication
- 2010 Corporate Citizenship Awards
- Proprietary Identity Protect Service significantly reduces risk of identity theft
- One of the top 100 most trafficked sites on the Internet, according to comScore/Media Metrix.
- Revamped and retooled Customer Service at (888) 445-2727
Intelius Review - Cons
- Some complaints at Better Business Bureau. Research shows many of the entries are older and have been
- Rip Off Report has several entries for Intelius. If you check that site, however, you’ll see Intelius
Customer Service is extremely aggressive in handling these complaints.
Click Here To Get Started With Intelius